I follow the teachings Jesus Christ. Sometimes I do well, other times not so much. I believe His biggest lessons are that we must not judge and that we must love one another as we love Him. Does not matter gay, straight, liberal, conservative, black, brown, yellow or purple love is the command. So love it is!!
Sunday, March 23, 2008
Missional Messiah
Hey all its Easter or Resurrection Day however you want to call it. I had a great day. But it was not necessarily while I was at church. Now don't get me wrong I loved our drama put on by our worship team. But I took this time to praise God and then I looked around to see others praise God which is something I like to do because it fills my heart with joy to see it. As we left our lunch with some friends my wife and I drove around. We must have driven for about an hour maybe more. It seemed that long anyway. As we drove we talked about tons of things. We drove around Fayetteville, we love this city. As I think about our drive I began to think about MY drive. What motivates me to be in ministry. For those of you who know me; ministry to students (Middle school through College experience wise) has been my mission since the tender age of 19 ( I'm 37 now). I came to the conclusion that my rescuer is my motivation. WOW now that's a revelation isn't it? Now hear me out. What I mean by that is that Christ never really settled in one building and said "ok everyone come to me, have some coffee, chat." HE WENT TO THEM!! Now I understand that in today's world we need logistical hubs to organize ourselves. However, why limit our ministry to those who swing by our building on Sundays? I'm am not talking about outreach, your still pulling them back into YOUR zone of safety and comfort. I am talking about going into the city provide a service for the folks living there and meet them where they are and meet their needs.To me that means a coffee house/church. People cannot come into the church at any hour and just hang out drink coffee and talk about Jesus. However, at a coffee house your out there in the city no steeple on your roof, no sign out from with a pastor's name on it. Just a place for folks to gather and hear about this Jesus guy. Now I am hearing things like well a coffee house is a building too? I realize that but the coffee house is just the hub, the real ministry is in what we do with those who come in. We go to their house help with repairs, or half of the band's cover can go to a operation a family needs for their child. It can be an avenue for other wise less vocal folks (not an issue with me, ha ha!!) can express their love for God and their fellow man through painting, or a softly read poem, or an instrumental offering. At this coffee house there is no worship pastor, no senior pastor, no youth pastor. Its those who God has called to lead leading, those who God called to sing singing, those who God called to write writing, those who God called to teach teaching, is my message coming out clear? Lets be real, lets play a song by David Crowder one minute and then have a Coldplay song played followed by a diddy from some guy named Bob who lives in town and is a recovering alcoholic and just found this Jesus guy, and he wants to sing about it. Jesus never sat and thought how do I get them here? He helped them, He loved them, He went to them, He healed them, He died for them, then He rose for them. Now are we going to have to die for them ?, maybe. Are we going to heal them? Sure with a hot cup of joe and a warm receptive heart. But lets lose the pretense, the suits, the marquee with the pastor's name and a corny "Christian" joke on it. Let have a service that consists of some Scripture, some coffee a trip to widow Jane's house to mow her yard, then we can eat and sing some songs. How can we do that? How can we follow the lead of our Missional Messiah?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment