Friday, August 14, 2009

Redemption

I will take a break from my Tozer blogs to address a hot button topic that has already stirred angry feelings from some folks. Micheal Vick signed with the Philadelphia Eagles yesterday. There have been tons of tweets,facebook comments, and blogs already written regarding Vick's return. And like most folks who love animals and football I have been draw to this story since day one.
Here is my two cents. I have been given many chances in my life. I have done some less than savory things in my life and have paid for them. I have sinned against my Lord. But he has forgiven me. He has forgiven me many times over. In Luke 6:37 Jesus is speaking to those who are following Him when He tells them,

"Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven."

Basic stuff, yet at times difficult to live out. This case is especially hard for me. I am an huge animal lover. I have three dogs, and two cats. And what Micheal Vick did to those dogs was obscene and repulsive to say the least. When I heard what he did my firs reaction was to have the same done to him. But then what Jesus told us struck me. So it was incumbent of me to forgive Mr. Vick. No eye for an eye. Its not easy, I can just imagine the crys of those precious dogs as Vick tortured them. I get physically upset when I think of how those dogs died. But I also get just as upset when I remember the torturous death Christ died because of His love for me. So, there you go. Makes one think doesn't it? May we forgive Mr. Vick, as Christ has forgiven us! And while I have your attention let me say this one last thing. If your thinking about getting a dog. Please visit your local animal shelter. Usually each city has one, or shares one with a bigger city. Animal Haven Rescue is a non kill animal shelter in Greenland they my wife and I adopted two wonderful dogs from. So give her a visit if your looking for a dog. I will return soon with chapter two from my Tozer reading.

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

You are absolutely right that we should forgive Michael Vick as Christ has forgiven us. We should remember, however, that The Lord allows us to experience the natural consequences of our actions. Sometimes that means that we lose our jobs, friends, support, etc. By being reinstated in the NFL he is avoiding what could be a natural consequence of his actions. He is very, very fortunate that they have allowed him back.

Musings of a Jesus hippie said...

I agree he indeed fortunate. But aren't we all? And to add to that very rarely does somebody get fired and never allowed to work again. That is all that is happening here. He is being allowed to work once more.