Its funny how commitment and community sound alike isn't it? I truly feel that the two are related because you cannot have one without the other. Yet some people say yea I am enjoying this community yet when its time to commit to something within the community they run scared. As a member of an awesome community myself I see this and I get confused as to how I "should" feel. I know how it makes me me naturally. It pisses me off. The rest of the community is heading this direction and a select few decide its not convenient for them so they do not. So does that make what we have a pseudo-community? I try to ask myself how did Jesus react to this. He had to deal with it too. I have not figured that one out yet.
I am not saying that a community has to agree all the time. But when something is happening and it is important to everyone (whether your for it or against it) and a select few just lolly gag around apathetically infecting the community with their indifference. When we do say enough and expel those who just do not seem to care? Is it apathy alone? Could also be selfishness? I am not sure but I can say this it makes me want to show them the door. Is that wrong?
Now I am not saying they do not belong in the family of God. But maybe just not our community. Now, is that wrong?
2 comments:
There's no biblical support for running someone off or expelling them because of their indifference. It may not be healthy or desirable, but even apathetic people are loved by God. It's our job to meet them where they are and draw them in just as God has done for us. There will always be some who linger on the outskirts of community not knowing whether to commit or not. The Jesus way is to pursue them with a love that is genuine and looks beyond the surface to see the hurt and experiences that cause them to be leery of committing and thus enjoying the community that God created them to live in.
Yea you speak wise words oh sage of Grace Church.
Post a Comment